Child Indicators Monitoring System: monitoring children's rights
Name of Organization:
Type of Initiatives:
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Trinidad and Tobago
- To monitor the situation of children and their families (child survival, development and protection)
- To develop a database system with indicators to be used for measuring and monitoring
- To link data producing agencies concerned with children to the system as part of the monitoring
- To monitor and measure the achievement of established goals towards children's rights.
Intended to be a continuing monitoring system of children's conditions and rights.
Two Reports have been produced: Report on Child Indicators Monitoring System Phases I-2002 and Phase 2-2004.
Cost (specify currency):
Approx 50 000 USD
UNICEF and Trinidad and Tobago Government
Source of Data:
Using a combination of own and existing data
Type of Data Collection:
Aggregation of multiple indicators using various d...
Random sample population survey
Specifications of type of data collection:
Population and Housing Census Data:
For providing information on household and living conditions of children, family situation, access to amenities such as water and waste disposal facilities that impact upon health.
Health statistics: morbidity and mortality situation, birth weight, immunization (survival indicators)
Education statistics: access to education facilities, achievement, dropouts etc adult literacy rates.
Measurement Methods / Tools Generated or Used :
As many indicators as are necessary related to child survival, development and protection are to be derived from data drawn from related sources and used to measure the levels of morbidity, mortality, access to basic amenities and needs satisfiers such as food, clothes, shelter.
Assessment of vulnerability for which some qualitative measures are also to be derived.
Measures are in terms of rates and ratios, degree of exposure to risks, need of protection etc.
List of Indicators:
- Infant mortality rate, under five child mortality rate, neo-natal mortality rate
- Maternal mortality rate
- Proportion children born: underweight, height for age, weight for age (indicators of underweight, stunting, wasting)
- Proportion of children with disabilities including sight, hearing, speech mobility impairment.
- Percent low birth weight (less than 2500 grams)
- Proportion of children immunized against specified communicable diseases
- Incidence of diseases among children
- Child caloric intake
- Proportion of children at risk of becoming infected with HIV
- Proportion of mothers attending ante/post natal clinic
- Proportion of children breastfed
- Proportion of children under five years attending pre-school
- Proportion of children of school age enrolled in/attending primary school repeater, dropout rates at successive school levels
- Proportion of children reaching a specified level of learning achievement in literacy, numeracy and life skills
- Proportion of adults 15 years and over with no schooling who are functionally literate
- Proportion of households with children and proportion of income spent on food, clothes, housing
- Proportion of households with safe drinking water, type of toilet facilities, waste disposal, type of dwelling, number of rooms
- Households with children and number of children, employment status of head, by types of amenities-electricity, phones etc.