Consortium for the Prevention of Torture
Name of Organization:
- To build up places of detention staff awareness and skills of European human rights detention standards
- To contribute to changes of attitude of the Moldovan general society and policy makers towards detainees
- To improve the legal framework related to prevention of torture in detention, detention procedural guarantees and access to justice in detention
- To facilitate social and psychological rehabilitation redress for detainees
- To promote of pluralism at civil society level by strengthening institutions and organisations
- persons in detention
- persons in pre-trial detention
- law enforcement officials and executive personnel
- media and general society
- Moldovan criminal and administrative procedural and substantive laws lack essential guarantees of the personal guarantees, prevention of torture and access to justice in the places of detention.
- Law enforcement personnel have insufficient knowledge and skills of human rights and European standards of human rights.
- Personnel of penitentiaries has insufficient understanding of need to establish positive relations between the detainees and the personnel; there is no strategy of preventing accumulation of violence and intimidation among detainees due to lack of psychological and cultural communication.
- The CPT Report and the response of the Government highlighted the misunderstanding of the Moldovan authorities as a whole the difficult economic conditions and their affection on certain civil obligations.
- Moldovan organisations are small and therefore to effectively address comprehensively a bigger concern there is a need for a consolidated common effort in this case and developing and strengthening the co-operative actions while working on other issues human rights related.
Executive reports of the Consortium:
Final report on Activities; 2004 Plan of Activities; 2003 Executive report; 2002 Executive Report. http://www.credo.md/pagini/actiuni.php?limba=eng&id=10 http://www.iatp.md/ladom/bulletins/
Cost (specify currency):
594 805.14 EUR
European Commission, UK Embassy in Chisinau, other.
Source of Data:
Using a combination of own and existing data
Type of Data Collection:
In depth interviews
Specifications of type of data collection:
- documentary visits and the situation assessment in various places of detention
- complaints and legal assistance
- state available statistics
Measurement Methods / Tools Generated or Used :
- know how in carrying out documentation visits and in-depth interviewing (each 3 months)
- statistics of the complaints from places of detention, nature of complaints
- feedback on TV and radio programs by the listeners/watchers
- feedback and reaction from the participants to various events
List of Indicators:
reports with detailed assessment of the situations (legal, institutional, case studies, conclusions and recommendations)
drafted legal amendments (number of amendments and their justifications, proposals considered)